The never-ending nightmare continues for Meghan Markle…
The Duchess of Sussex‘s father, Thomas Markle, is speaking out in public once again about his estranged daughter’s actions — and this time, he’s defending himself and his choice to make public parts of her private letter that’s now at the center of that infamous royal family lawsuit against the media.
Speaking to The Mail On Sunday in a brand new interview that was released this weekend, the 75-year-old Thomas opened up about the major miscommunication that came about between him and Meghan, and their estrangement. Furthermore, he contends he was forced to release portions of her letter to him after its contents were falsely portrayed by a friend of Meghan’s in a People interview!
In the new interview this weekend — for which Thomas was not paid, according to The Mail On Sunday — the estranged father and new grandfather says (below):
“I decided to release parts of the letter because of the article from Meghan’s friends in People magazine. I have to defend myself. I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter didn’t seem loving to me. I found it hurtful … I don’t recognize the person who wrote the letter but I still love my daughter. All it would take is one phone call and most of this craziness would stop.”
The People quote he’s referencing came from an interview with a friend of Meghan’s earlier this year, who said this at the time (below):
“He writes her a really long letter in return, and he closes it by requesting a photo op with her, and she feels like, ‘That’s the opposite of what I’m saying. I’m telling you I don’t want to communicate through the media, and you’re asking me to communicate through the media. Did you hear anything I said?’ It’s almost like they’re ships passing. He knows how to get in touch with her. Her telephone number hasn’t changed. He’s never called, he’s never texted.”
Now, that’s the specific quote that angered Thomas, and the quote he says which mischaracterized his letter, forcing him to release parts of it to clear his name.
He continued on by explaining more in this weekend’s interview, as well (below):
“When I opened the letter I was hoping it was the olive branch I’d longed for. I was expecting something that would be a pathway to reconciliation. Instead it was deeply hurtful. I was so devastated I couldn’t show it to anyone – and never would have, had it not been for the People magazine piece which meant I had to release portions to defend myself.”
Are you buying any of that, Perezcious readers — that Thomas had to defend himself, and so he released the letter?!
Obviously, it’s led to a potentially-historic lawsuit, and who knows what other controversies may lay ahead. But is Thomas on to something here, or just spouting off? Sound OFF with your takes in the comments (below)…
[Image via ITV/WENN]